About this policy
Date of last update:
May 11, 2023
Travel Pre-Approval Requirements
- Travel pre-approvals, now called Trip Authorizations in Chrome River, are required before traveling outside of the state of Indiana. Travel that occurs within the state of Indiana does not require pre-approval/Trip Authorization.
- Questions, including COVID-19 related travel information? Visit the IU Travel Management Services homepage.
Information Needed to Arrange Travel
- Trip name and purpose (full conference name; no acronyms)
- Travel destination and dates
- Personal cell number
- Emergency contact name and phone number
- Account to be charged
- Justification if departure is not from Indianapolis airport
Who can arrange travel?
- IU administrative assistant
- Traveler: Requires training by the VPCFO Training team.
- Allow sufficient time prior to departure for planning
Travel Cash Advance
- At times, due to financial constraints, a cash advance for up to 80% of expected IU related travel expenses may be granted to staff, faculty, or students.
- IU Travel Cash Advance Policy.
- Please see the Cash Advance Calculator worksheets on the linked Travel Management Service webpage.
- Please contact a Luddy Administrative Assistant to assist with processing a Chrome River Cash Advance request.
- Luddy policy requires prepaid travel to be reconciled in Chrome River within 30 days, even if the trip has not yet occurred. See Reconciling Pre-paid Travel Expenses for guidance.
- Keep ALL receipts showing line item details and payment confirmation. Receipts showing amount paid must be included on Chrome River expense report. See receipt requirements.
- IU provides rental car insurance for IU Employees only and will not reimburse additional insurance. IU does not cover insurance for visitors.
- Travelers may be reimbursed for either actual meal expenses (with itemized receipts) or per diem (with lodging receipt).
- Reimbursement requests must be submitted within 60 days after returning home. See IU Travel Reimbursement Deadline Policy.
PhD Student Travel
Luddy School Bloomington PhD students are awarded a one-time stipend for travel directly relating to their educational pursuits at Indiana University. Requests for PhD travel funds must be reviewed and approved by the Director of Graduate Studies before the travel occurs. Please submit the Luddy Graduate Travel Request Form for this review, including supporting documentation upload that contains amount of travel funds being requested. Once approved, PhD students should contact the administrative assistant assigned to their department for assistance with applying the funds associated with this award to their travel expenses via their bursar account. For questions relating to the financial aspects of student financial aid, including this PhD travel award, please contact Mike Noth, Assistant Dean for Finance, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty must receive approval from their department chair prior to agreeing to host visiting scholars. The chair must first ensure that we have space and resources available before approving a visiting scholar and that the visitor’s area of study will contribute to the mission of our faculty. Please provide exact dates of the visit, study collaboration plans, evidence of an interview to verify the visitor’s level of English, and the visitor’s CV. It can take several months for visas to process, so please submit visiting scholar proposals in the spring semester preceding the academic year of the visit.